I think it's important that everyone have some sort of philosophy, so that when people ask you what you are all about, you have a good answer. I think that I say it a few times a week: "I believe in keeping it simple."
This philosophy applies to lots of things for me. I just don't dig on all the fussy stuff. I don't believe in complicating life with a bunch of junk, clutter, options, whatever. I think that freedom comes from not being too tied down with stuff. I'm the kind of person who reads Real Simple magazine, and I truly love that publication. That said, I don't actually buy it- that would just be one more thing I'm buying that I don't need. I wonder sometimes if Real Simple magazine ever thought about that- they likely have a huge invisible fan base that just doesn't buy the mag.
So back on topic- what is stuff? To me, it's physical junk, such as clutter and bad food and junk mail. It's also spiritual and mental junk. Think noise, advertisements, etc. Just today I received about one million (give or take) junk e-mails from retailers, magazines, sellers of things, who all have a deal or an offer that I just couldn't stand to miss. The thing is, I truly enjoy getting these e-mails- I like to see what is new, trendy or on sale. However, I have started to notice that the more I read that stuff, the more I need that stuff. I don't know how virtuous it is for me to continue to look at all the stuff I don't have (and truly don't need). It changes you and makes you believe that you are without, when in reality, you've got all you need.
I think it's better to have a well cultivated life speckled with special things rather than a world full of stuff. A little different, but it works for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment