Sunday, September 08, 2013

The game of house



Here is the thing about playing house... you never win the game. It never ends. Clean, decorate, furnish, cook, start over. Invest. All that said, our apartment is having a style contest via Instagram, and I'd love to win- the prize for first place is a Kindle Fire, so now I'm a competitive decorator.

Cheddar likes it okay- see that happy cat on the couch? I'm digging it, too. It sure is nice to feel like you have a cozy apartment, and roots, and all that squishy, comfortable stuff that makes a house a home. It isn't about the furniture or the decor, it's about the feeling. I haven't had a chance to truly settle down anywhere until now. I feel this uneasiness, as though I don't want to let myself settle down here, either. It's like I still think I'm just going to have to move again in one year. After years and years of annual moving, how do you let yourself sink into a place and call it your own?

I've had all these great years of bouncing around the country living here and there, but I don't have much experience in just being present in a moment, staying still in one place. I think that's why I'm all about the home stuff right now. This is the first chance I've given myself to relax into a place. And so, even though it means constant chores and never really being done, playing house remains my favorite game.


No comments: